Welcoming Paisley: Our birth story


I swear I will not drag this out into a 12 post series.
Here is the short story:

My water broke at 10:10pm on 12/21
Admitted to L&D around 11:45pm on 12/21
Epidural at 3am on 12/22
Start pushing at 9:15am on 12/22
Paisley is born at 11:25am on 12/22

right before we left for the hospital

The longer version: On Saturday night I was getting ready to go to bed, and wanted Chris to rub my back. I had went out to the living room to ask him when my water broke. I just started laughing, I mean really cracking up. Chris says that I said, “what the hell?” then started laughing. I remember saying “either I just peed myself, or my water broke.” It was such a strange, strange feeling.

After we decided it was my water, I called the OB to see what I needed to do next. {They gave me instructions at my last appointment, but I was so nervous I totally forgot everything they said I needed to do}. The OB recommended we head to L&D so they could check if it actually was my water. We ran around gathering up the rest of our stuff and headed to the hospital.

I can’t even begin to describe how incredibly nervous I was feeling. I had been waiting for this moment, and now it was here.. We were going to come home with a baby; it’s just such a crazy feeling.

I had a few strongish contractions on the way to the hospital, but it was nothing like what you see on TV; or maybe my pain tolerance is higher than I thought?

I also hadn’t had any real contractions at this point of my pregnancy. I had braxton hicks contractions off & on all day on Saturday, but nothing that would make me think, “Oh, this baby is coming soon.” I was pretty much convinced that she was going to wait until her due date (1/2/2014) or after to maker her appearance.

I’ll skip the boring details between when I was being admitted and when I got my epidural. Nothing very exciting happened. I had some strong contractions; Chris rubbed my back while I breathed through each contraction. I never had any intention of having a natural birth, but I also didn’t want to get my epidural done too early. I’ve heard/read that the epidural can slow down progress. I had no desire to drag this birth thing out any longer than necessary.

I am OBVIOUSLY NOT one of those women that looks AWESOME during labor.

Sometime around 3am my L&D Nurse came in and said that the anesthesiologist was doing another epidural, and now would be a good time to get mine done since he was at the hospital. Again, I was nervous because I didn’t want to stall labor, but I didn’t want to progress so far that I couldn’t get one at all. I decided now or never, and went ahead and got it. Getting the epidural was a fairly easy process; Chris got a little woozy when the Anesthesiologist started asking me if I heard any ringing in my ear, if I had any tingling, or if I had a weird taste in my mouth. Chris said it freaked him out that the Dr. was so close to my spine.

Everything I’ve read/heard says you should try and get some sleep after an epidural (if you have one). Listen, I don’t know who these people are that can sleep right before they are about to give birth, but I’m not one of them. My adrenaline was pumping at super duper speed, my anxiety was through the roof, and resting was out of the question. Obviously with an epidural I couldn’t do anything but lay in the bed, but sleep was not had.

Sometime around 9:10 my nurse (who I LOVED, btw) came in, checked me, and said it was time to start pushing.

Let me tell you, pushing is NOTHING like what I thought. I gave VERY LITTLE thought to labor during my actual pregnancy. It scared me. The actual delivery part was horrifying to me, and thinking about it gave me major anxiety. So, I just chose to ignore the fact that I would have to push out a kid. Good idea, bad idea? I still don’t know. I don’t really know if there is anything you can do or read that could prepare you for what your body is about to go through.

I think my experience was somewhat abnormal, based on what friends/family/message boards have told me. The pain was incredible. I won’t even lie. It was so intense, and nothing like I’ve ever experienced. I don’t claim to have a high pain threshold, but this was just un-frickin-believable.

The anesthesiologist told me that the epidural would do nothing for the pain of pushing out a baby.. I’m not sure why this is, because I’ve had people tell me that they only felt pressure, not pain. Well, I’m here to tell you that I felt raw pain. I was also told that once she was out the pain would go away.. I’m here to call FALSE on that little rumor. Nope.

They put her on my chest immediately, which was so amazing – but OMG I was still in horrific pain. I was shaking, and practically screaming. Yeah ya’ll, straight up screaming happened. It was a scene out of a movie up in my delivery room.







I held Paisley for a pretty long time while the Dr. & nurses do what they do..

Eventually they took her so they could do her measurements:
7lbs 10.5oz
20” long

Whew. She was a lot bigger than what I was envisioning. All 3 of my sisters kids were less than 7lbs.. I somehow thought this mean Paisley would be that small. Wrong again.

Paisley had a fever at birth, so we had to stay in the hospital an extra day to make sure her 48hr blood cultures came back negative. We also needed to stay so that I could be seen by a neurologist and figure out what was going on with my right foot.

On Monday night the neuro ordered a MRI.. apparently I’m claustrophobic. I made it into the machine, but the tech had to pull me out to do something, and I had a melt down when my head made it out of the tube. I told him I couldn’t do it. He took me back to my room where I proceeded to cry some more. What a mess.

Tuesday morning my nurse gave me some xanax (my first time with the xanax) and I went back to radiology to try the MRI again. This tech was a million times more gentle with me, and put me into the tube feet first vs. head first .. that made all the difference. I survived the MRI just fine the 2nd time around. Thank you, xanax.

After my results came back normal, and Paisley’s blood cultures came back normal, we were discharged to go home. I was a little nervous about taking our brand new baby home – I mean, I had no idea what to do. There are no nurses at home to help figure things out. Whew. Scary.

We’ve been home for a week now, and we’ve managed to keep her in one piece. We’re battling jaundice & a cold, both of which have been kind of nerve wracking, but we are surviving.

I’m going to turn into a neurotic nut job. Kids are scary, yo.

Kudos to you if you made it this far. I will pay you in cute pictures…. you’re welcome.

Paisley Collage


7 thoughts on “Welcoming Paisley: Our birth story

  1. Jena…you did a great job birthing Paisley. Remember that a large part of the reason you had to push so long was because she was face up. You did it and I am proud of you and Chris.

  2. Thanks for sharing! Delivering babies is surreal. A lot of things happened that I never could have imagined. Paisley is so perfect. Enjoy the newborn months.

  3. Pingback: What’s next - Life is Beachy Keen

Say what you wanna say

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s