please believe me


(It’s not your eyes, the picture really is blurry. We were runnin’ so far Aaron’s camera couldn’t focus!)


I love Saturday morning long runs – This morning, on my way to Starkey Park, I was thinking “how did I get here?” “When did I start enjoying getting up at the butt crack of dawn to run 10+ miles on a Saturday morning?”

Sometimes it’s fun to reflect over the last few years – for me I haven’t always been a runner so thinking about how far I’ve come in the last 2.5 years is pretty awesome.

This morning was like all Saturday mornings, woke up early, ate breakfast, surfed the web while I ate, drank coffee, and hoped my stomach would cooperate before leaving the house.

At 6:48 I headed out for my 10 miler. I started a little late so I played chase with JM & Chris for the first 2 miles. I finally caught JM, and we caught up to Chris a few minutes later. Whew – I hadn’t intended on running the first 2 miles so hard, but it worked out okay.

We stopped for water at 2.something – I planning on running around an 8:10-8:15 – We had some cooler weather this morning, and the humidity wasn’t AS bad, so I thought that was a pretty attainable pace.

I felt strong, and my breathing was good. Oh, and my calf finally quit hurting. Thursday night when I went to bed my right leg was aching. When I woke up Friday morning it was still aching and proceeded to ache for the entire day. After work Chris rolled it with The Stick for me – holy crap, that was excruciating. It actually felt worse after he rolled it. I debated back and forth whether or not I should do my long run. I taped my knee, and told myself that if my calf was still aching in the morning that I would skip my run. Thankfully, when I woke up, no pain. No pain with walking, and no pain with calf stretches. CURED.

I took a gel at the 4.something water stop, said bye to everyone that was turning around and continued out with my new running friend Katie (she is fast!)  Mile 5 was 7:55, and that’s the last real split that I have (so sad).

We stopped at 5.something for a quick water stop – I think I stopped my watch here and then forgot to turn it back on. I’m really not sure what happened. All I know is that when I looked to see what mile we were at (somewhere around 9.5ish?) my watch said we were still at 5.88 (crap!)

I was pissed – I knew I was having probably the best 10 miler of my life and now I had no proof. gosh dang! Every time I looked at my watch, to check the pace (obviously I wasn’t checking the distance) we were way under 8.. like 7:30-7:40. I swear.  — I feel like no one will believe me because I have no splits to prove it – but really, we were running faster than I usually run. I was talking, but it was labored for sure. Sentences took a lot longer.

It felt really great to run fast and hard. When we made it back to the parking lot I was pouring sweat. man, that run felt so good. whhhheeee I love running!

The only thing I know for sure is that I started my watch at 6:48am, and we hit the parking lot at 8:14. 1hr 26 minutes – I’d probably take off about 6 or 7 minutes for water stops… I know, kind of a long time, but I looked at past runs, and that’s about average.. so I’m thinking about 1:19 – 1:20, which is about an 8:00/avg. Sounds right. Feels right. I’m going with it.


Gotta go! Headed to the Lakeland Mudhole …. yeah.

Goin’ out w/ my boots on
yeah – that picture is from tonight.
I’ve had those boots since 2002ish.
don’t judge.


3 thoughts on “please believe me

Say what you wanna say

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s